Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Attempted Lead Compensation

I tried to implement a low pass filter with my PD controller today, but that drastically failed. I looked at a work that talked about practical implementation of PD control, and it talked about preceding the controller with a low pass filter to reduce the noise in the error signal. Using Routh's stability criteria, I determined that my new controller would be stable if the pole of my filter was greater than the ratio of my proportional and derivative gains.

Unfortunately, the system wasn't stable. The pitch angle just oscillated wildly with increasing amplitude until the plant blew up. The pitch angle response plot was "smooth", however, unlike the response for the system without a filter.

The weirdest thing was, the pitch angle oscillated with increasing magnitude and blew up when I had a step reference for my x-position. I don't know why that is happening.

The only thing I can think of doing is to actually simulate my control system in Simulink and see if I am getting the same response. I am thinking I have done something wrong at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment